When your technical drawing is finished, the next step is to prepare blocks of wood, that will eventually become the pieces of your puppet (all the blocks together look like a robot before they are carved!).
Začneme přípravou dřeva. Fošnu si nařežeme with chainsaw na kratší kusy a odřízneme na tablesaw nerovné okraje. Fošny pak ohoblujeme po všech stranách tak, aby povrch byl rovný a hladký. Všechny čtyři rohy musí mít pravý úhel.
Glue the wood pieces
Cut the wood into blocks to the right size on the table saw. If you need to have thicker pieces, than is dimension of wood you have, than glue pieces together. Glue the wood pieces so the grain is in the same direction.
Preparing your "Robot"
- You will create lots of small blocks, and then carve them. If you have something that sticks out of the puppet - horns, a nose, a large belly - you will make separate blocks for the pieces and then glue them onto the first block (this saves a lot of wood and also time for carving).
- Cut the wood into blocks to the right size on the circular saw. If you have pieces you glue - you must do this now - you must glue the wood pieces, so the grain is in the same direction.
- When you have the blocks - make the center lines on all blocks (body, head, legs, and hands) - center lines must be from side and also front.
- Put the patterns on the center lines on the blocks so they are in the right position. - trace the patterns, so you have the joints and the holes in the side and front views.
- Drill and cut the joints out of the blocks on the table or band saw following the drawings.
- Make the holes on the drill (for wire/leather/nails, that will connect the joints).